- November - Saturday the 19th, Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 3:45 pm; ALSO, the last
Chesapeake Chapter, US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on
Lightship CHESAPEAKE for 2016. COMPLETED. Much thanks to Andy, Anne,
Donna, Greg, Heidi, Hobie and Jeff. We got plenty of good work done
throughout and off the ship before the harsh weather came through.
- October - Saturday the 29th, Volunteer work day - 9 am to 3 pm. ALSO, Chesapeake Chapter, US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on Lightship CHESAPEAKE.
COMPLETED. Thanks to Andy, Anne, Greg, Heidi, Hobie, Lauren &
Paula. Continued painting/preservation projects in Lathe Room, Engine
Room Fidley and Chill Box areas plus the starboard 12" signal light.
Moved a long length of 2" line to Anchor Windlass Room and planned
- September - Saturday the 17th, Volunteer work day - 8:40 am to 3:10 pm CHANGE - the CC-LHS volunteer work day is now 29 Oct. COMPLETED. Greg +Rob completed more electrical systems research and troubleshooting.
- August - Saturday the 27nd, Victory Night at Historic Ships In Baltimore (HSIB) - 6 to 8 pm. A celebration of all who served on the HSIB historic ships and their descendants; plus the museum members and volunteers who preserve these ships. This is a FREE event BUT a RSVP is REQUIRED. All LS volunteers contact Greg for more information and to RSVP.
- August 15th + 16th 2016 - the Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society International Lighthouse-Lightship weekend. See the web site: illw.net .
- August 7th - NATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE DAY - By a joint resolution designating this day as ?National Lighthouse Day" which was introduced to Congress on April 28, 1988 and signed into public law (No. 100-622) on November 5, 1988 by President Ronald Reagan. Click HERE to see the 2013 US Senate Resolution. The date of August 7th was selected because on that date in 1789, President George Washington signed the Lighthouse Act of 1789 which transferred ownership and operation of all lighthouses in the U. S. to the federal government. Click HERE for more info.
- August - Saturday the 6th, Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 3:15 pm. COMPLETED.
Another hot day. Greg + Rob worked on the Mess Deck A/C unit and more
electrical work. Getting the word out on National Lighthouse Day
- July - Friday the 9th, Volunteer work day - 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. COMPLETED.
A hot day but busy with visitors. Greg completed some important
electrical work while Rob dealt with an urgent repair on the Sub.
- June - Saturday the 18th, Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 4:15 pm. ALSO, Chesapeake Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on Lightship CHESAPEAKE. COMPLETED. A big Thank You to Anne, Greg and Tony for an extremely productive work day. Plenty of painting but the Cooks' Cabin is almost done. Chill and Freeze Box lighting getting needed attention so it will work again to support the storage needed by HSIB staff for the overnight program.
- May 22nd Thursday - National Maritime Day click HERE for more info.
- May - Saturday the 14h, Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 3:45 pm. ALSO, Chesapeake Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on Lightship CHESAPEAKE. COMPLETED. Thanks to Greg, Lauren, Paula and Sue. Finally warm enough to get some painting done, preservation of brackets for electrical parts, plumbing supply bins and prep and prime of rusty areas. The interior just keeps looking better and better. Many thanks to the volunteers from the Chesapeake Chapter for their continued support.
- April - Saturday the 23rd - Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 3:45 pm. COMPLETED. Thanks to Aidan and Greg. A
good work day with more lights repaired, cleaning and priming of
various areas and preps for installation of more refurbished electrical
- March - Saturday the 19th, Volunteer work day - 9 am to 4:30 pm; ALSO, Chesapeake Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on Lightship CHESAPEAKE. COMPLETED.
After 2 weeks of nice warm weather, it was cold today, so no painting.
Thanks to Anne, Greg, Lauren, Paula and Tony we got some deep spring
- February - Saturday the 27th, Volunteer work day - 8:50 am to 1:20 pm. COMPLETED. Another VERY cold morning. Greg and Rob spent most of the time dealing with a shore power problem.
- January - Saturday the 30th, Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 3:15 pm. COMPLETED. A VERY cold morning, but plenty of good work done thanks to Rob from HSIB Staff and Greg.