- December - Saturday the 2nd, Volunteer work day - 9:30 am - 3:30 pm. COMPLETED.
YES, it started out cold, but was very productive. Rest of electrical
support for Christmas lights done as well as lighting for other spaces.
- November - Saturday the 18th, Volunteer work day - 9:30 am to 4:30 pm; ALSO, Chesapeake Chapter, US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on Lightship CHESAPEAKE. COMPLETED. Big thanks to Andy, Anne, Greg, Heidi, Hobie, Lauren, Paula, Rob, Susan and Tony. Started off late due to Late departure of Sea Scout group from the overnight. Accomplished a good deal of deep cleaning and painting. But we also got the Christmas lights up, pulled some old electrical wire for later replacement. Most fun, started the cleaning of the Forward Range light that the staff removed from the forward mast after noting it was in bad shape. It is the original from 1930. Hope to have it cleaned, re-painted, electrically sound and ready to re-install by the summer.
- October - Saturday the 28th, Volunteer work day - 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. COMPLETED. A nice warm day with lots of visitors and plenty of good questions.
- September - Sat + Sun 16th + 17th - Maryland Lighthouse Challenge
for more info, click here: http://cheslights.org/maryland-lighthouse-challenge/
Thanks to all the 200+ LH Challenge participants who stopped by to see the Lightship !!
- September - Saturday the 16th, Volunteer work day - 8 am to 5 pm COMPLETED.
- August - Saturday the 26th, Victory Night at Historic Ships In Baltimore (HSIB) - 6 to 8 pm. A celebration of all who served on the HSIB historic ships and their descendants; plus the museum members and volunteers who preserve these ships. This is a FREE event BUT a RSVP is REQUIRED. All LS volunteers contact Greg for more information and to RSVP.
- August 19th + 20th 2017 - the Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society International Lighthouse-Lightship weekend. See the web site: illw.net .
- August 7th - NATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE DAY - By a joint resolution designating this day as ?National Lighthouse Day" which was introduced to Congress on April 28, 1988 and signed into public law (No. 100-622) on November 5, 1988 by President Ronald Reagan. Click HERE to see the 2013 US Senate Resolution. The
date of August 7th was selected because on that date in 1789, President
George Washington signed the Lighthouse Act of 1789 which transferred
ownership and operation of all lighthouses in the U. S. to the federal
government. Click HERE for more info.
- August - Saturday the 5th, Volunteer work day - 8:15 am to 3:30 pm. COMPLETED.
Very busy day with over 400 visitors. Spent more than the average
amount of time talking to various visitors, most from out of town. But
many great questions, so it was fun educating everyone on Lightship
history. When was the last time an 8 year old boy asked Who was the
Commanding Officer of the ship in 1965? Amazing!
- July - Saturday the 8th, Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 3:45 pm. COMPLETED. Hot summer day and port side A/C still OOC.
- June - Saturday the 3rd, Volunteer work day - 9 am to 3:30 pm. ALSO, Chesapeake Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on Lightship CHESAPEAKE. COMPLETED.
A nice summer day with lots of visitors. Completed a number of
painting projects, thanks to Anne, Carolyn, Greg, Hobie, Lauren, and
- May 22nd Monday - National Maritime Day click HERE for more info.
- May - Saturday the 6h, Volunteer work day - 9 am to 4 pm. ALSO, Chesapeake Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on Lightship CHESAPEAKE. COMPLETED. Rain on and off all day so lots of interior work was completed. Thanks Anne, Greg, Hobie, Lauren, Paula and Tony.
- April - Saturday the 8th - Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 4:15 pm. COMPLETED. Busy day, lots of visitors and accomplished some good electrical work.
- March - Saturday the 18th, Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 3:15 pm; ALSO, Chesapeake Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on Lightship CHESAPEAKE. COMPLETED. Thanks to Anne, Greg, Hobie and Tony for a productive work day.
- February - Saturday the 4th, Volunteer work day - 9:45 am to 4:15 pm. COMPLETED. New volunteer Ed joined Greg and Rob to get some good work done and prepare for March work day with the Chesapeake Chapter group. Also had a couple of special visitors from the Lightships Nantucket and Portsmouth.
- January - Saturday the 14th, Volunteer work day. CANCELLED DUE TO BAD WEATHER. Short-notice reschedule on 28 January - 11 am to 2:15 pm, COMPLETED.