- December - Saturday the 7th(change, this will allow us to attend the Pearl Harbor Day ceremony on Taney), Volunteer work day - 8:45 am - 3:15 pm. COMPLETED. A cold day, but with $1 museum day today, over 500 visitors. Nice Pearl Harbor Day ceremony.
- November - Saturday the 16th, Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 3:15 pm. COMPLETED
- October - Saturday the 5th(date change), Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 3:15 pm. ALSO, Chesapeake Chapter, US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on Lightship CHESAPEAKE. COMPLETED.
A small group but we accomplished a number of important tasks. Rob
kept us on track. Mostly painting and priming, but this included the
Fwd Range Light, Stern Running Light and other topside parts that needed
priming for painting later. Replaced the entire electrical circuit
used for Aft Friendship Lights. Many thanks to Donna, Heidi, Jeff and
- September - Sat+Sunday the 21st/22nd, Maryland Lighthouse Challenge - 8 am to 6 pm. https://cheslights.org/maryland-lighthouse-challenge Thanks to volunteer Kenya who helped share the Lightship Chesapeake with the 542 visitors we had over this wonderful weekend event.
- September - Saturday the 21st, CANCELED, see Maryland Lighthouse Challenge.
- August 17th + 18th 2019 - the Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society International Lighthouse-Lightship weekend. See the web site: illw.net .
- August - Saturday the 31st, Volunteer work day - 8:15 am to 3:15 pm. COMPLETED. Nice day with lots of visitors. Completed a number of tasks and welcomed a new volunteer, Wayne.
- August 7th - NATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE DAY - By a joint resolution designating this day as "National Lighthouse Day" which was introduced to Congress on April 28, 1988 and signed into public law (No. 100-622) on November 5, 1988 by President Ronald Reagan. Click HERE to see the 2013 US Senate Resolution. The
date of August 7th was selected because on that date in 1789, President
George Washington signed the Lighthouse Act of 1789 which transferred
ownership and operation of all lighthouses in the U. S. to the federal
government. Click HERE for more info.
- July - Saturday the 13th, Volunteer work day - 8:40 am to 12:40 pm. COMPLETED. A very hot day, too hot to work all day on the ship due to the Port Side Air Conditioning still out of commission and decision made by the museum director to not repair or replace it. We still had a number of visitors.
- June - Saturday the 1st, Volunteer work day - 9 am to 12:30 pm. ALSO, Chesapeake Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on Lightship CHESAPEAKE. COMPLETED.
Thanks to Paula, Lauren, Greg and Anne. An unusually hot day but
accomplished some painting tasks and a difficult partial assembly of the
new 12" Signal Light before it got too hot to work.
- May 22nd Monday - National Maritime Day click HERE for more info.
- May - Saturday the 11th(DATE CHANGE), Volunteer work day - 9 am to 1:30 pm. ALSO, Chesapeake Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society Volunteer Work Day on Lightship CHESAPEAKE. COMPLETED. Thanks to Anne, Heidi and Susan for their hard work.
- April - Saturday the 20th, (date change and check back for possible cancel) Volunteer work day - 8:30 am to 4 pm. CANCELLED.
- March - Saturday the 30th, Extra volunteer work day in case April is cancelled. 9:20 am to 2:50 pm. COMPLETED. Nice warm day with plenty of visitors.
- March - Saturday the 16th, Volunteer work day - 8:45 am to 3:15 pm. COMPLETED.
Spring is almost here. Plenty of work done to support the overnight
program. Can't wait for the new deck in the Wardroom Head to get done.
HSIB has decided to close the Lightship and some of the other museum ships for the winter, Jan and Feb, but not all of them. All ships should be starting on 1 March.
- February - Saturday the 9th, Volunteer work day - 9 am to 1:30 pm. COMPLETED. Able to shut power off to parts of the ship with no visitors, completed some important work.
REMINDER - JAN + FEB
Vol Work Days are always subject to date change due to extreme cold or
wintery weather. Always check with Greg the Friday night prior for any
- January - RESCHEDULED to Saturday the 19th, Volunteer work day - 8:35 am to 12:55 pm. COMPLETED. Accomplished a number of tasks very efficiently with no visitors on board.